At this time, undocumented and DACAmented students are not eligible for federal financial aid. Because of this, we encourage undocumented students, and most DACA students, not to fill out the FAFSA. Not filling out the FAFSA will not harm you, and filling out the FAFSA does not help with pathways to citizenship. The FAFSA is simply an application for federal aid, and so there is no need to fill it out.

Both undocumented and DACA students, however, may be eligible for institutional aid from their colleges of interest. We encourage students to reach out to the financial aid office at their college, or reach out to their TOPS Coordinator or College Success Coach to assist them with this process.

Some colleges may ask DACA students to fill out the FAFSA and submit it to them so that they can use the financial information on hand to gauge the student’s financial need. Other colleges might request a paper version of the FAFSA, or an institutional form of the FAFSA. When DACA students do fill out the FAFSA, it is important not to mark that you are a US Citizen. You should check with your high school counselor or financial aid office to see whether completing the FAFSA is the way to apply for state and college student aid. To begin your FAFSA, you must enter your Social Security number. While completing the FAFSA, you must answer the “Are you a U.S. citizen?” question as “No, I am not a citizen or eligible noncitizen.” After submitting your FAFSA, you should check with your college’s financial aid office to see what types of financial aid you may be eligible to receive.

If your parents are undocumented, but you are a US Citizen, you can still fill out the FAFSA! You will just need to enter in “000-00-0000” for their Social Security Numbers. At the first attempt to move forward, you will get an error code, but just submit again!

For more information, check out this link, or talk to your TOPS Coordinator!